Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Login with your social network

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Total Members: 753
Latest: Terry Colclough
New This Month: 15
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Total Posts: 62892
Total Topics: 4708
Most Online Today: 83
Most Online Ever: 17046
(Mon 29 Mar 2021 19:08)
Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 33
Total: 39

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - John Treleven

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I Spy Old Refs! / Norman Hayes (F.L. Linesman)
« on: Sat 27 May 2023 17:19 »
Bolton News
9th February 2009
by Nick Jackson

Norman Hayes (born 3rd April 1933)

The player who became a referee

The footballing career of Norman Hayes as both player and referee underlines how much the game has changed. In the modern era it is unheard of for a referee at the top of the game to have played the game at all. But when ex-striker Hayes, now aged 75, had finished banging in goals for the likes of Bury and Burnley reserves, and a variety of non-league clubs, like Morecambe, Fleetwood, Darwen and Bacup, he was more than happy to become the man in the middle.

Hayes, who has lived in Over Hulton all his life, might have been destined for greater things as a footballer, after impressing as a speedy outside right for various local teams, including an outing in the Halliwell Rovers side which lifted the Bolton Hospital Cup following victory over Daubhill Athletic on a pitch in Lowndes Street Bolton, in 1952.

“I was a Bury player, appearing regularly in the reserves, by then. The Hospital Cup was played in the evening, and Bury wouldn’t let me off, so on the day of the final I played in the afternoon and then in the cup final, which Halliwell Rovers won 2-1.“In four Hospital Cup games, including the final, I scored 12 goals, although I didn’t have a good game in the final.”

Hayes then went to join for Burnley and was playing in their reserve team against Bolton when he was involved in a tackle with Wanderers man Bob Matthewson which damaged the cruciate ligaments in his leg. Whether that injury prevented him from playing at the highest level of the game, no one will ever know. In those days, football was a man’s game and Hayes decided to get on with it.

He plied his trade as a goalscorer at Morecambe before moving to Fleetwood, during which time he trained at Bolton Wanderers with the permission of then manager Bill Ridding, and Darwen. He stopped playing while he was at Bacup Borough at the age of 31, partly due to his commitment as works manager at Hawker Siddeley in Farnworth.

“I couldn’t get enough time off to train, I had worked my way up in the aircraft industry and I had a good career which I don’t regret one little bit. But as a referee, I did not need to train as much. Nowadays, you couldn’t do it like I did it then, you’ve got to start refereeing in your teens.”

Hayes got a good look at the game at its highest level as a referee. “I was involved in a game in which Stoke City were top of the league, they hadn’t been beaten, and they were playing Newcastle. I was the linesman and Newcastle beat them. I couldn’t do Manchester United, because it was too close to where I live. But I did matches involving Liverpool, Everton, Wolves and West Brom.”

His refereeing career was also to bring him back into contact with ex-player Matthewson, who had also converted into a referee.
“Three of us went to officiate the UEFA Cup tie between Moscow Torpedo and Napoli in 1972, when the Soviets were preparing to host the Olympics in 1980. They knew that I worked in the aircraft industry and I was detained for quite a while at the Moscow airport before they would let me in.”

Hayes was 42 when he retired as a referee, but not before he had successfully completed an F.A. coaching badge. The coaching certificate was something he put to good use as a volunteer for seven years at St. Andrew’s C of E School, Over Hulton, where his grandson, Ben, was a pupil. Meanwhile, he has always had an extra-curricular interest in motor sport as a photographer and reporter and is a regular visitor to the Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire and is a keen follower of the fortunes of racers from Bolton.

Ten days later he was in the same paper again

19th February 2009
A former Football League referee and non-league player has claimed there is a lack of interest and effort in primary school football across Bolton. Norman Hayes, aged 75, who refereed at the highest level of the game in the 1960s and early 1970s, was a volunteer coach at St. Andrew’s C of E School, Over Hulton, until November last year when illness forced him to quit. The qualified F.A. coach helped train youngsters for seven years at the school his grandson, Ben, attended.

But Mr. Hayes, who has lived in the Over Hulton area all his life, said that while St. Andrew’s would fulfil their fixtures, there would be other schools which could not because matches had to be surpervised by teachers, who were unable to attend.

“There is a lack of effort being put into school football, in my experience. Some of the teachers just weren’t bothered, not interested at all. We played most of our matches, but other teams would only play one or two out of a dozen because it was extra-curricular. It really annoys me. That’s how football is run at school level. It’s not chaos, it’s non-existent, there is a culture among people working in primary education in Bolton that leads to a complete disinterest in football. Matches wouldn’t take place when kids wanted to play, but schools were not organised to deal with it. It’s scandalous. The saddest thing really is that there is a lack of leadership and enthusiasm.”

Headteacher of St. Andrew’s, Mrs. Liz Rogerson, said the school had a lot of out of class activities that its staff are involved in, including a choir and newspaper club. She said the school had been awarded Activemark status by Sport England for 2007 and 2008, and is linked to St. James Secondary School in Farnworth as part of the School Sports Co-ordinator initiative. She said “We try to make provision for all our children, from reception right the way through to Year Six to take part in a variety of activities, football for infants and juniors, which is often run by an outside provider, judo for many years, we’ve got fencing at the moment and we’ve had rugby courses. We take part in indoor athletics and have done for the last two to three years and I will be taking the athletics team during half-term. The children take part in swimming galas and we take them away for outdoor adventure weekends, so we do an enormous amount.”

A spokeswoman for Bolton Council said football was very much alive and well in Bolton primary schools and is an integral part of pupils physical activity. She said “Primary schools have a much broader range of activities these days. Last year, across both primary and secondary schools, we saw 90 per cent of all children participating in at least two hours of P.E. within and beyond the curriculum, an increase of 11 per cent compared to two years previously. However, football has always been, and remains, a core sport, and we recognise the need for a stable competition framework to encourage participation and progression in the sport. The council recently appointed a schools competition manager who is working as part of a Bolton primary school football development group to develop the primary football league structure.”

Terry Bosi (Codsall) works as a sales representative for a plywood importer in the Midlands, Married, with a son, he took up refereeing after injury ended his playing career. Graduated through the Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues, the
Worcester Combination and West Midland League. Promoted to the League line in 1967 and the full Referees list in 1971 . On the line for a European Cup tie, Ajax v Hamburg in 1969 and in 1972 the F.A. Challenge Trophy at Wembley. A keen cricketer, he also plays bowls, table tennis and swims. During his playing career he played in the F.A. Amateur Cup and at centre half for Bomber Command during his National Service.

THE ITALIAN CONNECTION by Sandra Irene Harris (nee Bosi) Terry's sister

Published 16 February 2009, updated 26 August 2009


I was born in Wolverhampton in 1940, the daughter of an English mother, Kate Portsmouth (born 1907), and an Italian father (though by then, naturalised British), Bruno Bosi (born 1907).  I have an older brother, Tertence Peter Bosi, born in Wolverhampton in 1933.  Our father was a confectioner who owned a confectioner’s shop selling sweets, chocolates, homemade Italian ice cream and cigarettes. His father, Emilio Pietro Bosi (born 1876) had come to Britain as an economic immigrant towards the end of the 19th century, when he was just a boy.  We knew nothing of the history, only that he came from Barga in Tuscany and sold plaster statues door to door, to make a living.

Emilio Pietro obviously prospered here in the U.K. because, eventually, he became a confectioner, owning his own shops.  He married Irena Motroni from Barga, but we do not know where they married. They lived in Wolverhampton and raised three sons, Paris, Italo and my father, Bruno.  Paris and Italo were both born in Wolverhampton, but due to difficult confinements with the first two children (probably due to the language barrier, as Irena spoke very little English), she went back to Barga for my father’s birth.  She returned to Wolverhampton with Bruno when he was only 6 months old.  Sadly, he was never to return to his birthplace, although he did see service with the British Army in Italy in 1944.

The Bosi family became naturalised as British citizens in January 1921 and continued to prosper in Wolverhampton in the pre-war years. My grandfather, Emilio Pietro, became quite the man about town, mixing in business circles and playing crown green bowls for the Molineux club as well as for Staffordshire. In 1936, he won a national medal, whilst playing for Staffordshire against Yorkshire in the British crown green bowling national championship. My father, Bruno, left school and went straight into the business and was eventually set up with his own shop in Whitmore Reans, a suburb of Wolverhampton.

Bruno married my mother, Kate Portsmouth on 24th April 1930, at St. Anthony of Padua Church, Wolverhampton. My brother Terry was born on 28th February 1933 and I was born on 24th February 1940.  At the outbreak of war in 1939, Emilio Pietro’s business was at its peak when he owned four confectionary shops and three other properties.  However, during the war years the businesses declined. Emilio Pietro died of a heart attack in December 1951. In 1940 my parents moved to Oxley in Wolverhampton and opened a confectionery shop, which my father owned until his retirement in 1971, apart from his absence on military service during World War Two.  My mother, Kate, and my grandfather Emilio Pietro managed the business during those years. My father also became a crown green bowls champion, playing for Wolverhampton and winning trophies and died of a heart attack whilst playing in April 1986.

Although Terry and I knew little about our Italian roots, we became intrigued when Aunt Irma Bosi, nee Tazioli, former wife of Uncle Paris Bosi, who was my father’s eldest brother, sent me a postcard of the main church in Barga.  Irma told us that, as a child, she had attended our father’s christening there, which increasingly intrigued us over the years and so, eventually, we had a starting point from which to research our roots.  But sadly, my father died before we were able to even think about visiting Italy and researching our family.

My husband, Graham Peter Harris, and I had an opportunity to spend a holiday in Barga, in the summer of 1991.  We searched the churchyard, and asked around locally, but could not find any trace of the Bosi name.  We did not speak Italian at the time and this made our search more difficult.

In 2005, Graham and I, together with my brother, Terry and his wife Mavis, nee Kirkham, went on a holiday ‘Tour of Tuscany’, which was based at La Pergola Hotel in Barga.  Again, we found no direct Bosi connection, although I had now started to learn Italian but only had a basic knowledge of the language.  The holiday was a great success and served to whet our appetites for finding a family link.

We arranged a third visit to Barga in the summer of 2006, when Graham and I met our eldest daughter, Julie Harris and her partner, Lance Thompson, in Pisa.  We hired a car, drove up to Barga and spent a whole week exploring the mountain paths and researching family roots. By now, my grasp of Italian was improving, so we had the confidence to visit the priest at the church in Barga and view the christening records.  Though communication was difficult, the priest invited us into his record room, which held records going back many hundreds of years. Again, we were disappointed not to find my father’s and grandfather’s records.  Then, our first real breakthrough came when the priest informed us that there were no Bosi families in the little hilltop township of Barga. They were to be found just down the hill in the surrounding villages, which were still within the boundaries of the administrative area of the Barga Commune. It seemed that Aunt Irma might have remembered the wrong church.

However, whilst in Barga, we did trace the former home and the last resting place of my Aunt Irma’s sister, Anna-Rosa Vernolini (nee Tazioli), i.e. on my grandmother’s side of the family. Sadly, Anna-Rosa had passed away in October 2004, so she had been living in this house during our first two visits to Barga, but we had failed to find her, because we did not know of any links to that side of the family.

On the advice of the priest we searched the nearby churchyard at Loppia, just a mile or so down the hill from Barga where we found the graves of many Bosi families.  Alas, the church was locked and we could not find its priest.  As we had no names of my ancestors, we photographed the Bosi graves for future reference.

Back at the hotel, we were relating our story to an American woman, who was also on a genealogical quest.  She was able to direct us to the township of Coreglia Antelminelli, the next hilltop town just a few miles down the Serchio Valley which has a museum “Museo della Figurina di Gesso e del’Emigrazione” which was dedicated to the economic migrants who left the valley to make and sell plaster cast statues. We had found the key to understanding my grandfather’s story.

We visited the museum at Coreglia Antelminelli the next day and were able to establish the history of the migration around the turn of the 19th century. In medieval times, the Italian Peninsular was covered by a patchwork of city states, including Venice, Florence, Lucca, Rome, and Sienna, etc.  Outlying towns, such as Barga and Coreglia Antelminelli, pledged allegiance to one or other of these city states, in return for which they were empowered to raise local taxes in the form of road tolls for travellers and goods passing through their territory.  Such towns, which would otherwise have depended upon subsistence farming on marginal land up in the valleys, were financially supported by these taxes. However when modern Italy was formed in 1871, the city states were subsumed and their laws and regulations became defunct.  Hence the little towns lost their tax income overnight and were driven into poverty.

One very special skill that existed in the 19th century, in the Serchio Valley, was that of making plaster cast statues from hand carved wooden moulds. This had originated for the purpose of making religious statues for churches, known as “Figurine” and “Figurinai”.  So, the master craftsmen were sent out, with teams of very young boys, to make and sell these statues and return money to the valley. Initially, they walked through Italy as peddlers, selling from town to town, but soon they were over the Alps and selling across Europe. Eventually, mostly via the port of Genoa, they spread out across the world, settling in the U.K., U.S.A., South America, Australia and even China.  The migration into the U.K. was mainly into Scotland, possibly because the Transatlantic ships called in at Greenock, en route for New York.  Even now there are still strong cultural links between Barga and many parts of Scotland, particularly Ayrshire and Glasgow.

So we had an important clue as to why Emilio Pietro had left Barga, as a boy, selling statues.  Sadly, we now realised the significance of the two plaster statues of a shepherd and shepherdess, which had graced our parents’ lounge for many years, without an explanation by our parents, which had now long been discarded.

Whilst in Coreglia, we also visited the cemetery, and again found many Bosi graves, but still no priest to question. Again, we photographed these graves for future reference, but Lance observed that one or two of them looked recently tended.  He suggested that we compose a short introductory note in Italian, and leave a copy on the best-tended graves.  That evening armed with my trusty dictionary, I composed the following note (in Italian) and inserted copies into three waterproof bags:
"Perhaps I am related to your family?, my name is Sandra Harris (nee Bosi), English. My father, Bruno Bosi, was born in Barga 27.02.1907. My grandfather, Emilio Pietro Bosi, was born in Bargl 25.09.1876. His parents were Antonio and Paolina Bernardini Bosi. It would please me if you would write to Mrs. Sandra Harris, (contact details supplied). It would be nice to hear from you. Excuse my Italian.

With no great expectation of success, we left two of these notes on graves in Loppia and one in Coreglia Antelminelli, but went home happy to have discovered the story of the emigration.

Shortly after our return home, we received a letter from a woman in Lucca saying that she had found our note, but didn’t believe that we were related as all her relatives had now died. I replied and thanked her anyway, pleased to have received a response.
Meanwhile, our interest in genealogy had led Graham to create the Harris family tree, which was published on a website This generated an e-mail contact from Duncan Ward, a long lost nephew of Graham’s, who was also researching family roots.  Duncan was able to provide us with a lot of information on Graham’s side of the family, but he had also made contact with the Vernolini family in Dunfermline, to whom I was related via the Motroni’s (on my grandmother’s side of our family).

My father had always told us that he had a cousin named Umberto Vernolini in Dunfermline, with whom he had lost touch.  On one occasion more than 40 years ago, whilst touring Scotland by car with my Mum and Dad, we had detoured into Dunfermline to try to find them, without success.  Now we made contact via e-mail, using the data provided by Duncan, with Umberto’s two sons Umberto ("Bert") and Frank and their wives, Isobel and Evelyn.  Family details and photos were exchanged and agreement reached to meet, when an opportunity arose.

In July 2007, we went to Fife with my brother Terry and his wife Mavis, for a birthday party at the home of Julie and Lance.  Afterwards, on our way home, we set up a rendezvous with Terry, Mavis, Julie and Lance and met the Vernolini's at North Queensferry, by the Forth bridge.  We had a very pleasant lunch and exchanged more photos and data. This was our first major step in the search for surviving relatives from the Italian side of my family. 

Several months later, we received a telephone call from Francesca, in Italian, but it was too much for me to follow.  A couple of days later, she called again, but this time using the translation services of a young neighbour Roberta, who was fluent in English.  It transpired that Francesca’s grandfather, Giovanni Bosi, was the brother of my grandfather, Emilio Pietro Bosi, so we were second cousins. She had found our note on her parents grave, Giovanni and his wife Eletta Chiappa, which was also the grave of her father, Adelsone Bosi.  Therefore, the note that we left on this grave had finally located our relatives in the Serchio Valley. 

We exchanged letters and family information and photos with Francesca and it transpired that Giovanni and Eletta had 9 children, all of whom had survived, so the potential for living relatives was huge.  We drew up the tree of our long lost relatives, but there were still huge gaps. After exchanging several letters with Francesca, we planned a further trip to Barga in 2008, so that we could meet up and and so had Sunday lunch together on 22nd June 2008.

My brother Terry and his wife Mavis could not travel with us on this trip, as Mavis was recovering from major heart surgery.  Graham and I met Julie and Lance in Pisa, hired a car and drove up the Serchio Valley to stay at La Pergola Hotel for another week.  However, we had no idea at this point that we were about to experience a huge family reunion.

On arrival at La Pergola Hotel on the evening of 18th June, an elderly Italian couple were waiting in reception and introduced themselves as Bosi’s. It transpired that they were Francesca’s brother Antonio and his wife Emilia, nee Borgia.  They lived in the village of Silano, at the very top of the valley, and as they could not make it to lunch on Sunday, had come down to meet us and invite us back to their home for a meal. We set up a table outside under the grapevines and spent a happy couple of hours exchanging family information, but even with help from the hotel staff, this stretched my limited language skills to their limits.  However, Graham and Antonio seemed able to converse using mime and sign language and we all had a lot of fun. We finally agreed to visit Antonio and Emilia at their home for lunch on Monday.  Emilia promised to cook us some wild boar, so we had something new to look forward to.

On the Friday morning, Roberta, the English translator, phoned me to ask if Francesca and her family could come to see us at our hotel on the Saturday afternoon.  Again, we set up a drinks table outside under the grapevines and at 4p.m., Francesca arrived with her husband Mario Venturi, their daughter Daniela and her daughter, Davina.  They also brought their friend and neighbour, Roberta Sheldon, the translator.

We were all immediately struck by the similarity of facial looks, expressions and mannerisms of Francesca’s daughter Daniela Venturi, with those of my own younger daughter Mandy Thomas (nee Harris).  We were also surprised to learn that Francesca’s grandfather, Giovanni had come to England with his brother Emilio Pietro (my grandfather), but Giovanni had returned to the valley soon after. They also told us that the family home at the turn of the 19th century had been in the hamlet of Pedona, midway between Barga and Coreglia Antelminelli.  We enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours swapping information.

Mario bought a bottle of bubbly with which we toasted the Bosi family and then invited us to join them back in Coreglia Antelminelli for a pizza supper at a nearby restaurant. We visited their old family house in Coreglia Antelminelli, which they maintain as a holiday home, as they now live on the northern side of the mountains in Reggio Emilia.  Here we met Daniela’s partner, Guido. Above the doorway were the remains of a small coat of arms, which they told was that of their family.

We then walked to the restaurant and enjoyed a lovely evening, with Mario introducing us to various Italian delicacies, whilst trying to watch a European Cup match on television out of the corner of his eye. They walked us back to the car park and showed us the rendezvous point for our lunch appointment at noon the next day. As we left, Mario hinted that Sunday lunch promised to be a rather large party and this was the first inkling that we had regarding a bigger family reunion.

On Sunday morning, we set off early for our lunch appointment and visited the hamlet of Pedona en route. We found a sleepy little village, again with a locked church and no priest to question.  The only couple that we could find knew of no Bosi resident there. This task to find Emilio Pietro’s house will have to wait until another visit. Having motored back up to Coreglia Antelminelli we parked and went to the rendezvous point a little ahead of time.  There was one man sitting there, who looked a little like my grandfather, with his high forehead and bushy moustache, so I immediately engaged him in conversation, but it transpired that he was not related, but we enjoyed trying to converse.

Mario and Francesca arrived with the Venturi family together with a crowd of other people and a series of introductions began with hugs and kisses being freely given.  Francesca’s eldest brother Gianfrancoi appeared to lead the family and he was almost speechless with emotion. We met Gianfranco’s children, Stephano, Emiliana and Barbara. Barbara was with her husband Andrea who, with a degree in English, was most helpful in translating the conversations. Francesca’s son Daniele Venturi was also present. From Pietro Guido’s family we met Elvira D’Alfonso, nee Bosi, with her daughter Betty D’Alfonso. From Ottavia Mazzoti’s family, we met Mauro Mazzoti, and her daughters Alder Togneri, nee Mazzoti and Anna Corradini, nee Mazzoti.  From Ultimato’s family we met Valerio Bosi and his wife Tizania, nee Gonella, Valerio’s brother Alberto Bosi and his wife Manuela, nee Biagioni.

What can only be described as a fantastic banquet then began, and went on for the whole afternoon, with countless courses being served. Late in the afternoon, we were honoured by the arrival of the last surviving offspring of Giovanni Bosi and Eletta Chiappa, when Ottavia arrived.  She was a charming old lady of 94 and seemed genuinely pleased to meet us, with more hugs and kisses, and to see our photos of her long lost Uncle Emilio Pietro. Mario Venturi, Francesca’s husband, proposed a toast to the Bosi family and Graham managed a short speech to thank all these relatives for coming to meet us, promising to return again with Terry and Mavis Bosi when this was feasible.  Once again, Roberta Sheldon was there to assist with the translation. 

Before leaving, we tried to get Francesca and Mario to agree to visit us in England, but she said that she was scared of flying, so we told them to come by train. Julie and Lance made similar offers to entertain some of the younger members of the family at their cottage in Fife, Scotland.  We hope that some of this will happen. Finally, Valerio Bosi asked if he could come and see us in our hotel in Barga before we went home, as he had some old family photos to show us.  A meeting was set for Tuesday evening.
We then said our goodbyes and returned to Barga, having experienced an unforgettable day.  I felt like a long lost daughter returning to the fold, rather than a distant cousin whom no one had heard of.

On Monday morning, Graham, Julie, Lance and I (plus dictionary) set off to drive up the valley to meet Antonio Bosi and Emilia Borgia Bosi, at their home in Silano, with very little idea of where they actually lived. Our plan was to find the village and then ask around. The drive up the Serchio Valley was magnificent, although the one way system in the town of Castelnuovo was a nightmare, which managed to tie Lance’s Sat Nav up in knots.  We passed a series of picture post- ard villages, and then as we approached Silano, which is the very last village before the top of the ridge, we saw Antonio and Emilia standing at the roadside waiting for us, outside their house. We were made very welcome and given a conducted tour of the house, which was like a Swiss chalet. Inside, the living room was full of trophies, including a couple of wil -boar heads, at which point we began to realise that hunting was an important part of Antonio’s life. In fact, he and his friends had been the regional champion wild boar hunters for the last two years – not bad at 72 years of age.

We chatted about family; they had five children, Cinzia, Katia, Ricardo, Alberto and Monia. We were shown their photographs, together with their five grandchildren.  We took copies by photographing their photos and did the same thing with a print of the Bosi coat of arms, which was hanging in their hall. Without the help of translators, all this proved somewhat slow, but very enjoyable. Emilia then called us to the dining table and proceeded to serve up yet another generous banquet. Poor Lance was driving, so he had to concentrate on double helpings of food!

After lunch Antonio took us a beautiful ride to the top of the valley, which was about ten minutes drive from their home.  Here the ridge represented the border between the provinces of Lucca and Reggio Emilia.  We returned to the house for coffee and tried to get Antonio and Emilia to agree to visit us in the U.K.  It was clear that they had no aspiration to travel and that they were very cosy in their mountain retreat. Besides, as Antonio said, he could never leave his hunting dogs. They, in turn, invited us to go back and stay with them, whenever we had the chance. We motored back to Barga after another fantastic day.

On Tuesday 24th June, we visited the Barga "Registry Office" seeking copies of any Bosi family birth or marriage documents and hoped that my improving language skills would help us to succeed. We were pleasantly surprised to find one member of staff spoke fluent English. They were able to find and copy Emilio Pietro Bosi’s birth certificate and his brother, Giovanni Bosi and Eletta Chiappa’s wedding certificate.  They had no access to any earlier records, but suggested that we contact the priest down at his presbytery adjacent to the new church in Fornaci di Barga from where he covers the churches of Loppia, Pedona and Fornaci di Barga. As there was no time left on this trip to follow up on this important lead, we have to put it on hold until our next trip,hopefully in 2009. 

That evening, we met with Valerio Bosi and his wife Tizania at our hotel. Valerio came armed with many photo's, from which it became clear that he was a football fan, who took great pride in the Italian team. Although they spoke very little English, we had by now developed the skills required to communicate. Valerio showed us a photo of himself in a local team, whose strip was red and white stripes, “like Sunderland”.  We then told him that Lance was from Newcastle, to which he replied “Alan Shearer”.

Valerio’s old photos included one of his father, Ultimato, wearing Italian military uniform in 1942, plus one of his grandfather, Giovanni, in uniform during the Italian invasion of Albania in WWI. He helped us to complete the family tree under Ultimato’s leg of the family and we exchanged addresses so that we could send photographs from this visit. It transpired that they live just a few kilometres below Fornacia de Barga, very close to the Pedona turn off, so there are still members of the Bosi family living very near to where we believe Emilio Pietro began his emigration. We said our goodbyes to the last members of the family, again asking them to come and visit us in the U.K. and promising to meet again when Terry and Mavis were ready to travel.

On Wednesday, the last night of our holiday, the four of us held a celebratory dinner at our favourite restaurant in the old town of Barga and hoped to be back there again very soon. On reflection, Graham, Julie, Lance and I agreed that we could not have hoped for a more successful visit.  It had been an unforgettable experience, which the four of us had been privileged to share.

Since this last visit, we have been able to keep in touch with Francesca, Valerio and Stephano by e-mail, and with Antonio and Emilia by post.  We have exchanged photos of the visit and eagerly await the opportunity to re-visit our long lost relations.



After our successful visit of 2008, we simply had to return to the Serchio Valley in the spring of 2009, to introduce my brother Terry to all of his long lost Bosi relatives. This trip was made possible because Mavis, Terry’s wife, was now fit to travel again.  Prior to travelling, we had advised our cousins, Valerio Bosi, Stefano Bosi, Antonio Bosi and Francesca Venturi of our trip, and we were all looking forward to meeting the new family members again. Firstly, we planned our trip to give us 4 days in Levanto, in Liguria, on the Italian Riviera, followed by 7 days in Barga.  We flew from Luton to Pisa, thereafter using a hire car in Italy.

FIVE LANDS – 30th May
Whilst staying in Levanto, we made trips by train to three of the famous “Cinque Terra” towns, namely Vernazza, Monterosso and Manarola (the other two were Corniglia and Riomaggiore) all of which were delightful. We also made a trip by car to Portovenere, which must be the most beautiful resort in the Mediterranean. Then, after four days of rest and relaxation, with lots of sun, good food and wine, we set off for another Barga adventure with our batteries fully recharged.

On the Thursday, we left Levanto, heading for Barga, but did a detour via Aulla, and Fivizzano to find the Castle at Verrucola, which, according to the internet, was occupied by the Bosi’s from around 11th to 13th centuries. For such an ancient building, we expected to find the usual pile of bricks. However, Terry and I were quite overwhelmed to find a superb building in such an excellent state of repair with our family name attached to it. Unfortunately we could not get into the castle, as it was only open on Friday afternoons, by appointment, and this was Thursday. After much posturing by the "Count and Countess of Bosi" we tried to get into the nearby Villa La Pescigola, which is famous for its gardens and was also a former Bosi residence c1100.  However it was not yet open for the summer, and a large guard dog soon saw us off.  Perhaps another time?

Due to bad weather in the mountains, we decided to go back down to the autostrada to drive the long way round to Barga.  On our way up the Serchio Valley, we stopped at Pedona, which is the hamlet were we believe that our grandfather, Emilio Pietro Bosi, and his brother, Giovanni – Francesca’s grandfather, had lived as boys. Then further on, on our way up the mountain road, we stopped off at Loppia Cemetery, to show Terry and Mavis, the first Bosi graves that we had found in 2007. Finally, we arrived in Barga and were made very welcome again by the staff at La Pergola Hotel, where we dined at their refurbished and much improved restaurant. On Friday we spent leisurely around Barga and Mavis surprised us all by walking very confidently up and down the hilly streets in the beautiful mediaeval town. Before we left the hotel, we received a telephone call from Roberta Sheldon, confirming that Francesca and Mario, who now live in Reggio-Emilia, would join us for Sunday lunch, but unfortunately, Daniela was unable to travel because she had chicken pox. Later in the afternoon, at our hotel who should arrive to see us but Valerio & Tiziano. Introductions were made and I was kept busy with my dictionary. Valerio and Tiziana then invited us to join them for dinner at their home in Ghivizzano, on Wednesday evening.  This was ideal, as it would be our last night in Italy. We went into dinner at La Pergola Restaurant when, halfway through our meal, Antonio (Francesca’s middle brother) arrived. He invited us to join Emilia and himself lunch at their home in Silano, an hour’s drive up the mountain, on Monday.  What a wonderful, enjoyable, hectic evening we had – my dictionary was working overtime.

On Saturday – 6th June, we travelled by car to Livorno, for our pre-arranged lunch date with Gianfranco Bosi’s family (son Stefano, daughter Emiliana, and daughter Barbara and her husband Andreas). Graham was delighted with our trusty Sat Nav that took us right across the city, to within ten yards of our destination, which was at Barbara and Andreas’s flat in Via Danesi.  Gianfranco and the rest of the family joined us, and after a warm welcome and exclamations of how alike Gianfranco and Terry were, we went by car to the sea front and strolled along the beautiful promenade. After our walk, we went by car along the sea front to the southern edge of the town, where we lunched in the famous Ristorante Sassoscrito sea food restaurant, which was situated on the cliff tops and has with fantastic sea views.  We enjoyed an excellent meal and much conversation - in English this time, thanks to an excellent translation service from Andreas. Finally, to complete our visit to Livorno, the Bosi family took us up the mountain behind the city, to visit the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Montenero, where Barbara and Andreas had been married. The church was hung with mementos of countless miracles, which had been attributed to the Madonna, the patron saint of Tuscany. Gianfranco and the family said that we would be very welcome to visit them anytime we came back to Tuscany. We returned to Barga in a thunderstorm and, after such a wonderful meal could only manage one large pizza to share between the four of us in the restaurant.

On Sunday, we entertained Francesca (nee Bosi) & Mario Venturi and granddaughter Davina to lunch at our hotel.  Roberta Sheldon (and her daughter Martina) joined us to assist with the translating. They were all delighted to see us again and so pleased to meet Terry and Mavis. After introductions we enjoyed a lovely five course meal. This was finished off with a couple of bottles of Asti Spumante, but Mario was red carded by Terry for shooting a cork across the restaurant. After lunch, Francesco asked if we would like to take a short trip down towards Loppia to meet another cousin, Anna.  She is the daughter of Lina Bosi and lives in a huge house with spectacular mountain views.  She has two sons, but they live and work away as mountain guides and only visit her occasionally. Anna was an amazingly sprightly 83 year old, who made us very welcome. Mario then invited us back to their holiday home in Coreglia Antelminelli and then onto a nearby Pizzeria for supper.  Terry and Mavis enjoyed seeing the old house, which had belonged to Francesca’s mother, and still bore the coat of arms of the Antognelli family.  We then followed Mario up a winding mountain road until it petered out almost at the top of the ridge, where we found La Pizzeria at about the same altitude as Mount Snowdon. We decided not to return to Barga via the unsurfaced road which contoured the ridge, choosing instead to go the long way round by dropping down into the Serchio valley and climbing back up via the main roads. Our Fiat limo was definitely not built for mountain roads.

On Monday we set off in the car to the town of Castelnuovo (or Newcastle as we call it), en route to Silano to our lunch appointment with Antonio and Emilia.  On our arrival, Antonio and Emilia were out on the road to greet us before we could even get out of the car. Emilia then treated us to one of her spectacular lunches. Emilia was disappointed that Lance was not with us, as she needs someone to mother. We began to discuss the Bosi family tree and photographs were compared all round.  Although Antonio and Emilia did not speak English, between Antonio’s excellent hand gestures, Sandra’s Italian, Emilia’s clear, slow Italian, a good dictionary and the digital translator, we all managed. At last, it was time to leave. We drove up to the top of the ridge, which forms the provincial border between Reggio Emilia and Lucca and said our goodbyes in stunning mountain scenery.   

On Tuesday, we went back up to the village of Coreglia Antelminelli and stopped off at the cemetery there to visit the grave of Francesca’s grandparents and father (Giovanni & Eletta Bosi and Adelsone Bosi).  This was where I had left the letter in 2007, which led to us finally locating the family. We found at least another twenty Bosi graves here, so it was very fortunate indeed that I had chosen the correct one on which to leave the message. I decided it was fate.

The Figurine Museum was our next port of call, where the surprising extent of the emigration from the Serchio Valley could be seen.  The Museum had been extended since our first visit and now included a workshop, showing how the alabaster figures were made in various types of moulds.  Much to my surprise there was a shepherd and a shepherdess, just like the two figures my parents had always had beside the fireplace in our family home. Unfortunately, I had never been told of their significance within the family as my father did not know much about his family history, and so the figures were discarded when the family house was sold. Then, in the church of San Michele Arcangelo, we were very surprised to notice that a fairly new looking statue of a Franciscan Monk was dedicated to an Alberto Bosi, but for the present, we cannot tie him in to the family tree.  Another puzzle to be solved.

On the Wednesday morning, we drove up the somewhat precarious road to Sommacolonia, the village that overlooks Barga.  We had walked to this village from Barga with Julie and Lance, one hot day last year, and the views of the Serchio Valley from the terrace there were spectacular.  Mavis and I enjoyed the view while Terry and Graham climbed up to see the remains of the German gun emplacement above the church.  It looked to be virtually impregnable and reminded us that the battle to liberate Italy was a very hard one. We looked around the church, which was beautifully kept and quite big for such a small village.  There were no cafes or shops. Then, back to Barga and off for our last meeting with the family, the "Grand Finale Dinner" at Valerio & Tiziana’s house down in Ghivizzano. It was a delightful surprise to find that Valerio had invited his brothers and their families (Alberto & Manuela Bosi, together with Nedo & Alessandra Bosi and their sons Alessandro and Alessio) to join us for dinner.  This made the translation task very much easier, as both of the boys spoke English. We settled down to another fantastic meal, After dinner, family photographs were viewed, including several from Terry’s career as a referee, and lots of Valerio’s long distance running events, especially the London marathons 2007 and 2008. Graham presented Valerio with a Wolves shirt, to commemorate their promotion to the Premiership, whilst Terry nipped out to change into his Referee’s shirt.  On his return he gave Valerio a yellow card, which he then upgraded to a red for dissent.  The boys loved it, because, apparently, Valerio had something of a reputation for red cards, during his soccer career. After another memorable evening, we said our last good byes, and, after being asked to come back and visit everyone again another year, we returned to Barga for the last time.

So, once again, our Bosi relatives have made us so very welcome in Tuscany.  We sincerely hope that some of them will be able to come and visit us in the U.K. as we had extended an open invitation.  We eagerly await the opportunity to re-visit them again.  This was a memorable holiday, enjoyed by us all, that’s me (Sandra), Graham, Mavis and Terry.  Lots of love until we meet you all again.

Cup Appointments / F.A. Women's Cup Final 14.05.2023
« on: Mon 15 May 2023 09:56 »
Match Officials - Referee: Emily Heaslip (Bury St. Edmunds), Sr. Assistant Referee: Georgia Ball (Chesterfield),
Jr. Assistant Referee: Chloe-Ann Small (Winchester), Fourth Official: Abigail Byrne (Bury St. Edmunds), Reserve Assistant Referee: Sophie Dennington (Aylesbury), V.A.R.: Michael Salisbury (Preston), Assistant V.A.R.: Sian Massey-Ellis (Coventry)

Cup Appointments / Muratti Vase(s) 13.05.2023
« on: Fri 12 May 2023 19:10 »
Both at Footes Lane, Guernsey, on the same day for the first time

Women 10.30 - Abby Georgia Dearden (Blackburn), Tom Nerac (Jersey), Geoff Ogier (Guernsey), Luke Pattimore (Guernsey)
Tom Nerac late sub for brother Luke (injured) and Luke Pattimore late sub for Steve Hutchison (stranded in Jersey by ferry failure)

Men 15.00 - Darren Lee Handley (Bolton), Richard Dyer (Jersey), James Lihou (Guernsey), Derek Gilman (Guernsey)

I Spy Old Refs! / Barry Breuilly (Jersey referee)
« on: Thu 11 May 2023 12:43 »
Barry "The Cat" Breuilly aged 75

Goalkeeper with 20 Muratti caps 1966-81, the first whilst still U18

A brief spell at Fulham before homesickness brought him back to the Island

A policeman later noted for removing an unruly spectator from a Muratti

Also a referee he played for St. Ouen when they entertained Manchester United (Best, Law, Charlton et al)
at Springfield in front of 11,112 on 30th November 1971

11,112 would gather at Springfield Stadium when the Red Devils, one of the world’s biggest football clubs, played an exhibition match against St. Ouen. They brought their stars, including the holy trinity of Charlton, Law and Best, while Jersey brought fans and onlookers in their droves. The attendance has never been close to being bettered. More than one in seven of Jersey’s population was there.

The match had been arranged by the president of St. Ouen, Charlie Bechelet, through his friendship with the Southampton manager Ted Bates, who, in turn, was good friends with United manager Frank O’Farrell. It was not uncommon back then for top football teams to bring their first team squad over for a friendly against one of the local sides. Just the week before, Hull City played First Tower United at Grouville in front of 300 fans.

But this was different. This was Manchester United. They carried the aura of being the biggest club in the land and had won the European Cup just three years previously. A squad containing three of the greatest players in the world. It just would not happen today. Nor will the Island ever expect to hold another sporting event of its kind that would attract so many. True, the Muratti Vase used to attract crowds of 5,000-6,000 but this was off the charts.

Playing that day, for some of the second half at least, was Jersey goalkeeper Barry Breuilly. The winner of what was then a record 20 Muratti caps for a goalkeeper and a former Fulham "A" player, Breuilly was a more than capable stopper, but the first thing he did after coming onto the field was to pick the ball out of the net, following a thunderbolt strike from Brian Kidd for his hat-trick which put United 4-0 up. Breuilly admitted that the score could well have been 40-0 if the United players wanted it to be, such was their overwhelming class.

Most of the fans were enthralled by George Best, who played the first half and got the biggest cheer of the night when he scored a header from close range. Covering the game that evening was the venerable Bill Custard, who reported: ‘It was all there, indelibly etched into the bright green turf, the artistry of the incomparable George Best, the dynamism of Denis Law, the cool control of Bobby Charlton and the thrusting power of Brian Kidd … all this was woven into a pattern of slick efficiency in which combination and fluid movement were supreme.’

Not that they had it all their own way, with St Ouen excited with a couple of early raids that led to Pat McLaughlin’s ‘splendid shot’ being well saved by Alex Stepney. United, meanwhile, were content to provide an exhibition of the talents, much to the excitement of the crowd. ‘The atmosphere was incredible. It was electric,’ remembers Breuilly. ‘They had temporary stands that enclosed the pitch and it made for one hell of an atmosphere. None of us expected that many people to be there.’

What is also hard to understand through modern eyes is that United made the trip in the middle of the season. On the Saturday prior to their appearance at Springfield, United registered a 5-2 win away at Southampton and the week would be bookended by a 3-2 home win over Nottingham Forest. United would then go on an 11 match run without a win, after being top of the table at Christmas.

Maybe the trip away was not the wisest choice for United’s title ambitions but Breuilly remembers that the St. Ouen players were asked to mind their tackles – a request not fully taken on board by Breuilly. ‘The players were hinted at not to do anything too reckless, and that did prevail during the game but I do remember tackling Charlton just outside the box and him glaring back down at me. But he’d been clattered by better people than me. ‘The St. Ouen players couldn’t believe it that they’d arranged for Manchester United to come. You won’t see that again. It’s still resonant in my mind.’

Naturally, the United players also made an impression on young Breuilly, who was 23 years old at the time. ‘Best showed real class while Charlton was an absolute gentleman, as always,’ he said. The players stayed at the Mermaid Hotel during their time in the Island and Breuilly even picked up Denis Law in his car from there to go to a party the night before the game. ‘He never drank. He wouldn’t have any alcohol. He just stood in the kitchen and had orange juice. I think Mr. Best may have imbibed a little bit more.’

The drinking would continue after the game, too, at a ‘buffet supper’ at the Mermaid for all the players and officials, giving the St. Ouen players and other lucky Islanders a chance to get to know their heroes a bit better. The great Sir Matt Busby, the architect of modern Manchester United, was in attendance. ‘They all mingled. We had photographs taken with them. I had one taken with Alex Stepney. It was an amazing experience. Obviously everyone flocked around George Best.’

The night before the match, more merriment could be found at the Hotel de France at a special function to welcome Manchester United as part of St. Ouen’s banquet that Custard described it as a ‘glittering occasion.’ Highlighting the differences in attitudes to today’s professionalism, he reported that after presentations and a cabaret, ‘the company adjourned to the ballroom to spend the remainder of the time – until 2 o’clock this morning – dancing.’

A copy of the menu, signed by all the players at the function, made its way to an eight year old Glenn Springate – sold to him for ten pence by his Leeds United-supporting cousin, who had inadvertently acquired the treasured artefact. Young Springate was at the game too and, while he does not remember too much of the game, he does remember it was the night he ‘fell in love with football’. ‘I was in awe,’ Springate says, five decades on. ‘George Best’s name was read on the tannoy and the whole place just erupted. ‘I remember I watched the game in the dark, standing in the back of my uncle’s pick up van. They allowed all these vans in around the back of the goal so people could get a better view of the game. As you can imagine, the match was a big talking point at school the next day.’

And it would still be a big talking point, 50 years later, about the time Manchester United – Best, Charlton, Law et al – came to Jersey to take on the not so mighty St. Ouen.

President Bechelet must have had quite a few friends in high places. The following season St. Ouen hosted Jock Stein’s Celtic side, which included Kenny Dalglish, Jimmy Johnstone and Bobby Murdoch, in front of a crowd of a mere 2,000 at Springfield. Another coup for the parish club’s players to be involved in, this time they were ruthlessly gunned down 11-1, despite the hosts boasting Southampton and England stars Terry Paine and Mick Channon as guests. But nothing would be more memorable than sharing the pitch with United’s illustrious stars.

Lancashire Telegraph

4th June 1998

Sporting Jim dies

Sporting gentleman Jim Warburton has died, aged 70, after a long illness.

Tyldesley born Jim was a Sale Lane United footballer in the 1940s and 50s before injury forced him to quit playing.

He started refereeing with the Leigh and District Association Football Referees Society and progressed through the Leigh and District S.S. League (now the Leigh Amateur League) through the Bolton Combination and Lancashire Combination to the Football League.

He officiated at many F.A. Cup and county matches and was an international linesman. But he never forgot his roots and when not involved at the highest level could be seen refereeing local league games. When he hung up his whistle his experience became invaluable as a referee assessor and he was always willing to offer advice to those starting out in the game.

His service earned him the Referees Association meritorious service award and the Lancashire F.A. order of merit. He was a life member of the Leigh Referees Society and Leigh Amateur League, having also served as League secretary.

A founder member of Atherton Sports Council Jim's interests covered a variety of sports.

Roy Birchall, president of Leigh and District Association Football Referees Society, paid tribute:"The district has lost one of its sporting gentleman and I a sporting colleague and friend. Long may his memory live on."

Grandfather Jim leaves a wife, Jean, and a daughter, Margaret. The funeral took place on Friday at Overdale.

I Spy Old Refs! / Kenneth" Ken" Markham (Woking)
« on: Tue 18 Apr 2023 12:42 »
One of the more elusive referees

Went to Chiswick County School, as did Dennis Brady & Reg Paine

Officiating as of Staines from 1958 in Surrey/Middlesex area

F.L. line 65-6 & 66-7

F.L. Ref 67-8 & 68-9

Possibly worked for Rio Tinto Zinc

Back as referee with Surrey/Middlesex 71-75

But where and when was he born?

Burnley Express

John McNabb: October 12th 1924 - August 22nd 2018

Born in Burnley John McNabb attended St. Mary's Roman Catholic School, leaving at the age of 14 to join the RAF "as soon as he was old enough" according to his son, John, and going on to serve in the 911 squadron as an airman first class with the Lancaster Bombers during the Second World War.

He never really spoke a lot about what went on in the war, said John (64) of his father, who died at the age of 93. Occasionally he'd tell you bits like how they'd all be at a bar, singling around a piano one night then the next night half of them weren't there. He went deaf because bombs are fairly noisy things, but when somebody mentioned to him that he could get a war pension, he was having absolutely none of it; he said he came home, a lot of them didn't.

After the war, John joined the Burnley Youth Organisation, scheduling football matches between the clubs and refereeing plenty of the games himself, which caught the eyes of the Burnley Referees Association of which he eventually became president, a position he held until his death. Bearing in mind he was quite young, he got rapidly promoted, John said of his father's refereeing career. He refereed from local league to the Lancs Amateur League, then to Lancashire Combination and the Northern Premier League. In the 1950s, he went on to the Football League and stayed until he was too old in 1971.

He got international "caps" - in 1966 he refereed East Germany v Romania and he refereed in UEFA so he got some other games in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. Even when he finished he continued refereeing for children's games as a volunteer.

Honoured for 50 years of service to refereeing, John received a medal from The F.A. in 2005, presented to him at Turf Moor by former Scotland international and Manchester United manager, Tommy Docherty.

John married Alice Patricia in 1952 with the couple having John as well as three grandchildren - Harry, Olivia, and Rory. Always one for socialising, John was a member of Belvedere & Calder Vale Sports Club from its inception as well as a member of the Knights of St. Columba - becoming a knight in 1949 - and a season ticket-holder at Turf Moor.

He would go in the Vice Presidents Lounge until his legs got so bad that he wouldn't make it up and down the stairs John said of his father's time on the Turf. He was a Burnley lad, born and bred who would come up the Kettledrum - his local since the 1960s - and sit on a bar stool and chat away to his old mates.

He did a lot, did my dad; he went out and had a good time and met a lot of people along the way, John added. He told me last year that he'd thoroughly enjoyed life, and he had.

Church Times 20th July 2018

Obituary: Canon Kenneth Harris

Canon Kenneth Harris, who died on 22nd June, aged 89, had given a lifetime of service to Chester and its surrounding villages. This was recognised by the city’s awarding him The Order of the Gates in July 2003.

Kenneth was born, a twin, to Cyril Charles Harris and Josephine Harris (nee Watton) on 18 July 1928. The boys, sadly, contracted pneumonia when they were about six months old, and the elder twin, Dennis, died. Kenneth had an elder brother, Cyril (1926), and was later joined by Brian, in 1933, and Margaret, in 1939.

The illness continued to trouble Kenneth well into his teenage years. His schooling at both Victoria Road and Love Street Schools was frequently interrupted by bouts of serious illness. His apprenticeship at the Chester company of Brookhurst Switchgear had to be abandoned, and his doctor declared that he must seek employment in less confined conditions.

In 1944, however, he began a second apprenticeship at the Hydraulic Engineering Company (H. E. Co.), where his father was the chief draughtsman and where his grandfather, Charles Alfred Harris, had begun the family’s connection with the company, and the City of Chester, on taking up an appointment as Outside Erector at H. E. Co. in 1901. Kenneth settled well into work at H. E. Co. and, apart from a brief spell at John Summers’ Steel Works, spent 40 years of his working life there, ending that career as the managing director of the company.

Kenneth’s connection with the Church began at a very early age at All Saints Hoole, Chester, where his father served for many years as a churchwarden and, later, a Reader. Two particular organisations claimed Kenneth’s devoted interest. The first was the children’s church, where week by week as many as 80 young people met to praise God with a simplified form of matins. When the leader left and no adult was willing to take on the responsibility, teenage Kenneth was put in charge; the group continued to flourish and was still meeting some 15 years later. The second was the 2nd Chester Boys Brigade; Kenneth was associated with this for some 34 years, the final 14 as Captain. Many men in Hoole today remember the influence that this company had on their lives and the great fulfilment it brought them; they have very fond memories of the annual camp.

Leadership of the Boys Brigade brought involvement with the Chester Youth Council and a wider sphere of youth work. In 1972, Kenneth was appointed a Justice of the Peace; for many years he served on the Juvenile Panel, and was for a time its chairman.

From early adulthood, Kenneth received a call to the ordained ministry. His lack of formal education, mainly the result of enforced absence from school owing to illness, was regarded as a severe drawback; he received much discouragement. When the North West Ordination Course of Training for the self supporting ministry was introduced, the Bishop of Chester, Gerald Ellison, recognised Kenneth’s deep spirituality, practical abilities, and leadership qualities and had no hesitation in recommending him for training.

Kenneth was ordained deacon at Michaelmas 1972 and priest the following year. As an NSM, he served curacies at the Holy Ascension, Upton, and at Eccleston and Pulford, where he was given special responsibility for Pulford. He derived great fulfilment from these appointments and his ministry was much appreciated.

In 1980, Bishop Victor Whitsey asked Kenneth to go to the parish of Hargrave as Priest in Charge, and to live in the very run-down vicarage. After discussion, he and his wife, Jean, agreed to go. They set about not only renovating the house, but also reviving the parish. Very soon, Kenneth had a sizeable congregation and an active parish with a lively social side. Bishop Whitsey appointed Kenneth as Vicar the following year, though, of course, he was still in the self supporting ministry.

In 1984, Bishop Michael Baughen asked Kenneth whether he might be interested in the post of Executive Officer of the Diocesan Board of Social Responsibility, a full time paid post. At that very time, the owners of H. E. Co. were in the process of selling the company. Although Kenneth’s position there was secure, he knew that changes were imminent; so, after discussions with Jean, he decided to accept the post, should it be offered. Kenneth held this position for some ten years, while remaining Vicar of Hargrave. This service to the diocese was recognised by Kenneth’s appointment to an honorary canonry of Chester Cathedral in 1991.

When Kenneth retired from full-time ministry in 1994, he continued to officiate with the Bishop’s permission, but it was not long before he was asked to take on further responsibility. From 1996 to 1998 he cared for the parish of Ashton Hayes and, from 1998 to 1999, for Alvanley, giving them the same dedication as he had shown in all his appointments. His commitment never faltered.

This outline of Kenneth’s working life reveals a man of great energy and capacity for hard work, but there is more. Kenneth was always a keen sportsman.

He was goalkeeper for the school team at Love Street and, for many years, kept wicket for the Boys Brigade cricket team. Later on, he took to refereeing football matches and his skill and fairness is still recognised by the ageing players whom he controlled in the local league. He did not stop at the local level, however, but went on to qualify as a football league linesman; he had a highly successful career there, too, not only in this country, but also running matches in Europe. He might well have become a football league referee, but he had begun too late: by the time he was considered, he had almost reached that profession’s retirement age.

Kenneth was a dedicated family man. He and Jean were a loving couple and their family testifies to their devotion. Jean worked actively wherever Kenneth served, and she took a full share in parish life.

Kenneth will be very much missed by his large family; his children, Dennis, Anne, and Jacqueline, with their spouses, and his many grandchildren. They will all miss the towering presence of this loving and inspiring patriarch.

Continuing the decade by decade research

There were 390 officials listed for 1965-66
81 referees and 74 linesmen who later became F.L. referees have already researched

That leaves 235 "new" names


Arranged in alpha order by county

275   Lewis   D J   March   CAM
166   Carter   J   Ilford   ESS
172   Clark    F   Cranham, Upminster   ESS
198   Evans   R E   Upminster   ESS
185   Davies   J R   Cockett, Swansea   GLA
230   Harvey   E   Mill Green, Warboys   HNT
356   Stewart   A J   East Barnet   HRT
273   Leech    R   Moston, Manchester   LAN
346   Shorrock   J   Witton, Blackburn   LAN
387   Wilson   H   Higher Walton, Preston   LAN
202   Findlay    A (Sgt) Millbank, London SW1   MID
206   Franklin   K D   Kenton, Harrow   MID
256   Jenkins   T   Newport   MON
277   Long           R A   Northampton   NHA
220   Griffiths   J   Witney, Oxford   OXF
257   Johnson    A   Warley, Smethwick   STA
306   Morris   G H   Whiteheath, Blackheath   STA
131   Ball           D G   Tolworth, Surbiton   SUR
337   Reid           J   Morden   SUR
365   Thomas   D J   Olton, Solihull   WAR
125   Alderson   J E   Horbury, Wakefield   YOR
289   Matthews   M   Sheffield   YOR
314   Newton     R      Scawthorpe, Doncaster YOR

Sorted by counties for ease of reference for local experts

146   Bone   David S   Luton   BED   
196   Dixon   Maurice C   Caddington, Luton   BED   
303   Parsons   Alfred J   Bedford   BED   
327   Rodell   Ray   Luton   BED   

268   Knock   Peter E F   Reading   BER   
384   Wrennall   Peter C   Burnham, Slough   BER   

172   Cleere   William G V   Downley, Wycombe   BUC   

138   Benton   Norman H   Cambridge   CAM   

182   Cox   Brian L   Betws, Ammanford   CAR   

300   Owen    Gwyn Pierce   Pentraeth, Anglesey   CFN   F.L. Ref 1977-78

119   Bailey   Gerald   Woodsmoor, Stockport   CHE   
133   Bayley   Robert D   Altrincham   CHE   
150   Bradshaw   Jeffrey A "Jeff"   Winsford   CHE   
156   Bridges   Ronald "Ron"   Chester   CHE   F.L. Ref 1978-79
190   Darby   Michael "Mike"   Newton, Hyde   CHE   
207   Ensor   J Lewis "Lew"   Bebington, Wirral   CHE   
248   Ireland   John A   Warrington    CHE   
260   Jones   Gerald "Gerry"   Woodchurch, Wirral   CHE   
277   Lovatt   John   Wistaston, Crewe   CHE   F.L. Ref 1979-80
278   Lydon   John J   Warrington    CHE   
292   Mitchell   David R "Dave"   Bebington, Wirral   CHE   
299   Owen    Derek   Bebington, Wirral   CHE   F.L. Ref 1978-79
309   Phipps   Frank   Upton, Wirral   CHE   F.L. Ref 1979-80
330   Rutter   John M   Barnton, Northwich   CHE   
333   Saul           Norman A   Romiley, Stockport   CHE   
338   Scrimshaw   David B   Cheadle Hulme   CHE   
359   Thomas   R Frank   Helsby   CHE   
361   Thornton   Peter K   Plas Newton, Chester   CHE   
381   Woodhead   Anthony K "Tony"   West Kirby, Wirral   CHE   

188   Cutler   Graham J   St. Austell   COR   
365   Truscott   Charles R   St. Austell   COR   

328   Rogers   Donald   Ambergate   DBY   

192   Davies   Barry   Ruthin   DEN   

115   Atkins   Thomas "Tom"   Exeter   DEV   
185   Crofts   Keith S   Wembury, Plymouth   DEV   
205   Ellis   Anthony J   St. Thomas, Exeter   DEV   
218   Greenhalgh   Michael S "Mike"   Babbacombe, Torquay   DEV   
242   Huff   Leonard C "Len"   Plympton, Plymouth   DEV   
280   Mallett   Colin   Crownhill, Plymouth   DEV   
283   Marshall   Brian J   Southway, Plymouth   DEV   
313   Potter   Peter C   Stoke Damerel, Plymouth   DEV   
331   Sadler   David T   Bellaire, Barnstaple   DEV   
342   Smale   William H   Swimbridge, Barnstaple   DEV
208   Fairley   Raymond   Spennymoor   DHM   
262   Keeys   Edward M   Seaton Carew, Hartlepool   DHM   
281   Mapp   Derek   Crook   DHM   
341   Sinclair   John S   Ushaw Moor   DHM   
345   Smith   John M   Fairfield, Stockton   DHM   
348   Smith   Thomas R M   Newton Hall   DHM   
367   Tyson   George M   Sunderland   DHM   

140   Bick   Brian W   Weymouth   DOR   
141   Bird   Gerald B   Shaftesbury   DOR   
269   Lambert   Kenzie (sic) V   Manor Park, Dorchester   DOR   
311   Pike   Brian N   Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton   DOR   
352   Stockley   Brian R   Swanage   DOR   

125   Barker   John   Doddinghurst, Brentwood   ESS   
130   Bartels   Leonard A   Westcliff   ESS   
181   Cox   Anthony D "Tony"   Buckhurst Hill   ESS   F.L. Ref 1978-79
194   Dempsey   Henry   Broomfield, Chelmsford   ESS   
201   Drewe   Peter J   Upminster   ESS   
226   Harrington   A Michael E   Gosfield, Halstead   ESS   
231   Hazell   John B   Easthorpe, Colchester   ESS   
249   Isaacs   Albert A   Barking   ESS   

198   Dodd   Kenneth R "Ken"   Rhyl   FLI   

142   Bishop   Hugh E   Williamstown, Rhondda   GLA   
158   Brimble   John   Hengoed   GLA   
177   Cooper   Keith   Hopkinstown, Pontypridd   GLA   F.L. Ref 1982-83
227   Harris   Harold R   Gowerton, Swansea   GLA   
275   Lewis   Victor A   Bridgend   GLA   
295   Morgan   Edward G   Troedyrhiw, Merthyr Tydfil   GLA   
319   Richards   Arnold   Cwmdare, Aberdare   GLA   
323   Roberts   Alun   Bedlinog, Treharris   GLA   
349   Southall   Desmond   Margam, Port Talbot   GLA   
356   Taylor   George M   Gorseinon, Swansea   GLA   
358   Thomas   David Ieuan   Nantyffyllon, Maesteg   GLA   
378   Williams   Idwal F   Briton Ferry, Neath   GLA   

124   Banwell   Barry R   Downend, Bristol   GLO   
132   Bates   Stephen G "Steve"   Horfield, Bristol   GLO   
143   Bissix   Kenneth F   "Ken" Hanham, Bristol   GLO   
145   Bombroff   W H "Bill"   Frampton Cotterell, Bristol   GLO   F.L. Ref 1978-79
168   Champion   Brian A   Avonmouth, Bristol   GLO   
212   Fricker   Leonard A   "Len" Whitchurch, Bristol   GLO   
215   Gasser   Kenneth J "Ken"   Gloucester   GLO   
241   Howell   David A J   Patchway, Bristol   GLO   
296   Munday   Anthony H   "Tony" Paganhill, Stroud   GLO   
307   Phelps   Stanley G "Stan"   Longlevens, Gloucester   GLO   
314   Radford   Leslie T "Les"   Winford, Bristol   GLO   

136   Bell   Keith R   Dibden Purlieu, Southampton   HAM   
195   Dix   Ronald   Portchester, Fareham   HAM   
273   Letts   David   Oakridge, Basingstoke   HAM   F.L. Ref 1979-80
304   Patten   David A   Yateley   HAM   
360   Thomas   Richard I C   Fawley, Southampton   HAM   

118   Bailey   Anthony G   Clehanger, Hereford   HFD   
282   Marchant   Brian   Moor Farm, Hereford   HFD   
290   Meredith   Douglas V J   Madley, Hereford   HFD   

237   Holland   David H   Garston, Watford   HRT   
258   Jode   John F   Stevenage   HRT   

298   Obray   Brian A   Wyton, Huntingdon   HUN   

137   Bellamy   John H   Sevenoaks   KEN   
149   Boswell   Colin I   Gillingham   KEN   
174   Cocup   Raymond H   Gillingham   KEN   
184   Craigie   James W A   Chatham   KEN   
232   Hazzard   Maurice E   Rochester   KEN   
234   Heselgrave   Alexander S   Larkfield, Maidstone   KEN   
251   Jackson   Duncan   Maidstone   KEN   
284   Marshall   George   Folkestone   KEN   
383   Woolven   Roy L   Catford, London SE6   KEN   

123   Banks   R Allan   Astley, Manchester   LAN   F.L. Ref 1979-80
147   Booth   A Alan   Droylesden, Manchester   LAN   
148   Boothman   Graham   Burnley   LAN   
159   Brown   William A "Bill"   West Derby, Liverpool   LAN   
164   Carter   Thomas   Padiham, Burnley   LAN   
171   Clarke   David E   Accrington   LAN   F.L. Ref 1978-79
178   Cooper   Raymond W   Burnley   LAN   
179   Cooper   Terence   Oldham   LAN   
187   Cross   John   Accrington   LAN   
197   Dobson   Alan   Sunnybower, Blackburn   LAN   
203   Earps   Ronald   Sutton Manor, St. Helens   LAN   
211   Fieldhouse   Frederick C   Shaw, Oldham   LAN   
216   Glover   Norman H   Chorley   LAN   F.L. Ref 1977-78
230   Hayes   Norman    Atherton, Manchester   LAN   
254   Jameson   Raymond D   Clubmoor, Liverpool   LAN   
261   Kaye   Jeffrey   Barton, Preston   LAN   
266   Kiely   Kevin   Greenmount, Bury   LAN   
270   Lancaster   James W C   Whiston, Prescot   LAN   
272   Leaver   Stuart   Grimsargh, Preston   LAN   
287   Maxson   John   Ashton under Lyne, Oldham   LAN   
291   Midgley   Neil   Salford, Manchester   LAN   F.L. Ref 1977-78
294   Moffet   Clifford   Preston   LAN   
306   Peck   Michael G "Mike" Scotforth, Lancaster   LAN   F.L. Ref 1977-78
310   Pierpoint   Leslie   Ladybridge, Bolton   LAN   
312   Potter   Frank   Bolton   LAN   
316   Redmond   Michael J C "Mike"   Walton, Liverpool   LAN   
321   Riley   Norman   Westhoughton, Bolton   LAN   
324   Robinson   Arthur   Radcliffe, Manchester   LAN   F.L. Ref 1981-82
332   Salt   David   Royton, Oldham   LAN   
335   Scholes   Frank   Bolton   LAN   
336   Scott   David   Burnley   LAN   F.L. Ref 1980-81
364   Tracey   Charles    Blackpool   LAN   
366   Tweats   Desmond "Des"   Hardhorn , Poulton Le Fylde   LAN   
372   Waters   Philip H   Chadderton, Oldham   LAN   
374   Webb   Derek A   Northenden, Manchester   LAN   
377   Whitworth   Philip E "Phil"   Heysham, Morecambe   LAN   
379   Wilson   Norman L   Torrisholme, Morecambe   LAN   

121   Ball   John   Braunstone, Leicester   LEI   
122   Ballard   Malcolm E   Anstey   LEI   
129   Barston   Ronald E "Ron"   Wigston, Leicester   LEI   
153   Bray   J E "Jeff"   Hollycroft, Hinckley   LEI   F.L. Ref 1978-79
263   Kenny   Ian R   Hinckley   LEI   
297   Napthine   Gilbert J   Sileby, Loughborough   LEI   F.L. Ref 1978-79
329   Rose   George A   Whitwick, Coalville   LEI   
344   Smith   John H   Groby   LEI   
346   Smith   Malcolm J    Coalville   LEI   
357   Taylor   Howard   Evington, Leicester   LEI   F.L. Ref 1980-81   

112   Appleby   Anthony "Tony"   Boston   LIN   
152   Bray   Derek   Holton Le Clay, Grimsby   LIN   
169   Christie   William S   Reapham   LIN   
176   Cooke   Gary   Gainsborough   LIN   
183   Coxon   Basil "Baz"   Louth   LIN   
204   Elding   Maurice G   Fishtoft, Boston   LIN   
252   Jackson   Reginald C "Reg" Grantham   LIN   
255   Jenkins   Anthony F "Tony"   Scunthorpe   LIN   F.L. Ref 1977-78
301   Page   Trevor S   Boston   LIN   Supp Ref 1973-74 & 1974-75
363   Todd   Gerald R "Gerry"   Washingborough   LIN   

127   Barnes   A S   Palmers Green, London N13   MID   
200   Downey   Colin   Isleworth   MID   F.L. Ref 1977-78
256   Jenkins   J D   Ickenham   MID   
279   Maber   Terence   Ruislip Manor   MID   
289   McCowan   Vincent R   Kensington, London W14   MID   
325   Robinson   Brian K   Ashford   MID   
369   Ward   Anthony W "Tony"   Southgate, London N11   MID   

225   Harrhy   Gordon L   Newport   MON   
253   James   George C   Newport   MON   
308   Phillips   Anthony J   Newport   MON   
373   Wathen   Joseph E C   Newport   MON   

154   Bray   Keith   Hainford, Norwich   NFK   
189   Daniels   Keith B   Saxlingham Thorpe, Norwich   NFK
116   Attwell   Colin F   Northampton   NHA   
126   Barker   Michael J R   Maidwell   NHA   
236   Hill   Brian    Wollaston, Wellingborough   NHA   F.L. Ref 1978-79
380   Wood   Victor H   Kingsthorpe, Northampton   NHA   

114   Ashton   W Lyn   Woodsetts, Worksop   NOT   
229   Harwood   David N   Chilwell, Nottingham   NOT   
337   Scott   Mark P T   West Bridgford, Nottingham   NOT   F.L. Ref 1978-79
362   Thorpe   Keith C   Worksop   NOT   

315   Redfern   Kenneth A   West Monkseaton, Whitley Bay   NUM   F.L. Ref 1978-79
334   Saunders   Alan   Newcastle   NUM   F.L. Ref 1978-79

161   Byles   John   Cowley, Oxford   OXF   
209   Faulkner   Jeremy J W   Didcot   OXF   
233   Hedges   Dennis A   Headington, Oxford   OXF   F.L. Ref 1979-80
247   Hutchinson   David   Witney   OXF   F.L. Ref 1978-79

120   Baldry   Brian E   Ipswich   SFK   
157   Brightwell   Anthony   Sudbury   SFK   

245   Humpage   Allan R   Market Drayton   SHR   

117   Attwood   Edwin J   Radstock, Bath   SOM   
246   Hunt   Kenneth R   Galmington, Taunton   SOM   
259   Jones   Alan W   Kingsway, Bath   SOM   
265   Keyes   Roger E   Weston super Mare   SOM   
276   Lockyer   Terence   Taunton   SOM   
322   Rimmer   Raymond   Shepton Mallet   SOM   
353   Storey   Gerald W   Bridgwater   SOM   
354   Swift   Keith   Ilminster   SOM   
355   Tainton   Raymond J   Oldfield Park, Bath   SOM   

175   Colyer   George   Hove   SSX   
202   Drewitt   Dennis R   Hove   SSX   
221   Guilder   Kenneth D   Crawley   SSX   
222   Gunn   Allan   Southwick   SSX   F.L. Ref 1977-78
243   Hughes   D R   Eastbourne   SSX   
244   Hughes   F   East Grinstead   SSX   
267   King   Derek G   Portslade, Brighton   SSX   
376   Whittington   William A   Bexhill   SSX   

111   Adams   Bryan J   Cannock   STA   
131   Bates   Leonard A   "Len" Highgate, Walsall   STA   F.L. Ref 1977-78
134   Beaman   Michael W   "Mike" Barton, Burton   STA   
139   Bestall   Francis W   Essington, Wolverhampton   STA   
151   Brandon   Robert "Bob"   Fazeley   STA   Spp Ref 1973-74
160   Buckley   David E I F "Dave"   Codsall, Wolverhampton   STA   
163   Capey   Derek   Fenton, Stoke   STA   
166   Cartman   Graham T   Talke, Stoke   STA   
217   Godfrey   John L   Chasewater, Brownhills   STA   
239   Holt   George W   Coseley, Bilston   STA   
274   Lewis   Alexander D   Willenhall   STA   
305   Pearson   Royston "Roy"   Brierley Hill   STA   Supp 1977-78, not Full
318   Rhodes   Alan   Bentley, Walsall   STA   
320   Riley   Cedric J   Roman Green, Wheaton Aston   STA   
347   Smith   Ronald F "Ron"   Rugeley   STA   
370   Warner   J Michael "Mike"   Wednesbury   STA   

214   Gardiner   R G   Folly Hill, Farnham   SUR   
219   Gregory   Colin A   St. John's, Woking   SUR   
238   Holland   Michael J    Langley Vale, Epsom   SUR   
257   Jermey   Michael E   Maybury, Woking   SUR   
264   Kensett   John T   Waddon, Croydon   SUR   
286   Martin   John E   Selsdon, Croydon   SUR   F.L. Ref 1978-79
371   Waterman   D R   Weybridge   SUR   

162   Callow   Victor G "Vic"   Solihull   WAR   F.L. Ref 1979-80
186   Crook   G Henry    Solihull   WAR   
223   Hall   H R   Great Barr, Birmingham   WAR   
250   Jackson   David T   Water Orton   WAR   Supp 1976-77, not Full
271   Langford   Brian   Coventry   WAR   
293   Mobley   Brian M   Northfield, Birmingham   WAR   
317   Rees   John H   Yardley, Birmingham   WAR   
326   Robinson   L Maurice   Sutton Coldfield   WAR   F.L. Ref 1979-80
339   Seville   Alan B   Hall Green, Birmingham   WAR   F.L. Ref 1978-79
350   Spofford   Brian C G   Brookvale, Birmingham   WAR   
351   Stoakley   Peter    Solihull   WAR   

110   Ackrill   Peter J   Swindon   WIL   
170   Clark   Kenneth J   North Colerne, Chippenham   WIL   
180   Cottam   W Charles   Corsham   WIL   
368   Uzzell   Bernard L   Swindon   WIL   

135   Beech   Philip C A "Phil"   Barbourne   WOR   
191   Darkes   Edwin N   Kidderminster   WOR   
193   Davis   Patrick J   Headless Cross, Redditch   WOR   
224   Hardman   Terence "Terry"   Strensham   WOR   
382   Woodward   Derek   Welland, Malvern   WOR   

210   Fawcett   Keith G   Bowston, Kendal   WST   

113   Ashmore   Brian   Leeds   YOR   
128   Barnett   Terence M   Knottingley   YOR   
144   Bodley   David W   Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough   YOR   
155   Breese   Kenneth D "Ken"   Rotherham   YOR   
165   Cartlich   Colin   Anlaby, Hull   YOR   
167   Challinor   Arnold   Maltby, Rotherham   YOR   F.L. Ref 1977-78
173   Clinton   Ian J   Northallerton   YOR   
199   Douglas   Lawrence N "Lol"   Ackham, Middlesbrough   YOR Supp 1974-75, not Full
206   Emsden   Keith J   Bradway, Sheffield   YOR   
213   Galley   Harold D   Fenay Bridge, Huddersfield   YOR   
220   Grinsill   John   Outwood, Wakefield   YOR   
228   Harrison   Arthur   Goole   YOR   
235   Hespe   George W A   Sheffield   YOR   
240   Horner   Reginald J "Reg"   Holywell Green, Halifax   YOR   Supp 1976-77, not Full
285   Martin   George   Jump, Barnsley   YOR   
288   McAulay   James "Jim"   Whitkirk, Leeds   YOR   F.L. Ref 1984-85
302   Pallister   Raymond   Acklam, Middlesbrough   YOR   
340   Simpson   Neil E   Birchencliffe, Huddersfield   YOR   
343   Smelt   Rowland   Anlaby, Hull   YOR   
375   West   James A   Totley, Sheffield   YOR   
385   Young   Frederic "Fred"   Huntington, York   YOR   

I Spy Old Refs! / Terence Leonard "Terry" Morris 1940-2022
« on: Mon 27 Feb 2023 14:02 »
Thursday 25th August 2022

Palace Shield Cricket News (Blackpool / Preston)

The Competition is saddened to hear of the death of Terence Leonard Morris

Terry was a Football League referee who graduated to officiate in Division One in the 1980's.
He took charge of such teams as Manchester United & Nottingham Forest in the Brian Clough era.
He left to join the Football League at Lytham.

He was also a good cricketer, wicket keeper/batsman for Wrea Gree & Freckleton
He was also a fine administrator being Secretary & Treasurer for both clubs.
He attended our management meetings for many years as the club representative
He also lectured in Business Studies at Blackpool & Preston colleges.

He suffered from Parkinsons in later years and was cared for by his wife Nancy.
She died two years ago and Terry was in a care home for his final years.
They had no children.

Born in Rotherham he was a lecturer and course director in home and institutional studies at Leeds Polytechnic
F.L. line 1973-76, also Supplementary ref in the last of those and then Full ref 1976-82
although he left in October 1981 to work for the Football League.
He refereed the F.A. Vase Final (Blue Star 2, Barton Rovers 1) in 1978 at Wembley.

Interview with him here - page 10 of 12 of Leeds Student (10th Nov 1978) takes a few seconds to load

I Spy Old Refs! / Eileen Everitt, two referee marriages
« on: Fri 24 Feb 2023 18:13 »
Royal Gazette, Bermuda; 16th October 2013


Notice of Intended Marriage

The persons named and described hereunder have given notice to me of their intended marriage, namely:-

ERIC ANDREW READ of 11 Mitre Copse, Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom (widower)....

EILEEN ELIZABETH BOMBROFF of the same address (divorced)

Eileen, nee Everitt, had married another referee, William H. "Bill" Bombroff in 1961


I Spy Old Refs! / Raymond "Ray" Chadwick (Darwen)
« on: Thu 23 Feb 2023 19:13 »
Former Darwen professional referee dies

5th July 2017

Photo - referee Ray Chadwick gets ready to officiate a match in his pomp

A football referee who rose from the ranks of local league matches to officiating at big games throughout Europe has died aged 82

18th March 1935 - 28th June 2017

Ray Chadwick, from Darwen, who died after a short illness, developed his interest in football as a youngster when he played in the Darwen League.

He worked at Shaws Newsagents on Railway Road before buying the business.  His wife, Marina, whom he married in 1958, and father to Garry and Pam, ran the shop while Ray pursued his refereeing career, even though he initially refused!

One of his favourite stories was when Leeds and Scottish international Joe Jordan once threw himself horizontally two-footed off the ground right under Ray’s nose. He initially blew up for dangerous play, but as the ball flew into the top corner, and the Elland Road crowd went wild he decided that his whistle was just perfect to signal not a free-kick, but a goal!

He was also the man in the middle at the infamous game between Derby and Fulham at the old Baseball Ground. Fulham needed victory at Derby to stand any chance of winning promotion to the First Division; Derby needed all the points to be sure of avoiding relegation to the Third. At half-time, the game was goalless but the 21,142 crowd were very tense. It was Ray who complained to police that not only was the linesman on the Pop Side covered in spit, he had also been struck by a salt cellar thrown from the home crowd.

And in another memorable moment, he was once running the line at a big League match with a ref who was overbearing and officious. He made the mistake of wagging his finger at the other linesman at the half-time break. The lad picked him up and slammed him against the changing room wall. He explained very carefully that ex-Barnsley miners don’t take too kindly to that kind of admonition.

As well as football, he was a keen athlete and helped to organise early triathlon events in Darwen in the mid-80s. Marina won the second one held in 1985.

A requiem mass will be held at St Joseph’s at 10.45am today, followed by interment at Darwen Eastern Cemetery. Mourners are asked to wear brightly-coloured football shirts.

Tributes as former Poole mayor and councillor Les Burden dies

4th January 2023

by Andrew Goldman, Bournemouth Daily Echo

Tributes have been paid to a former mayor of Poole who served his community for more than 20 years.

Les Burden, who proudly served the Creekmoor ward as a councillor 1999-2019, died peacefully at home on Thursday 29th December 29, aged 85.

‘Actions not words’ was the mantra of Cllr Burden, who also served as sheriff of Poole and town mayor 2003-2005 – roles he described himself as “deeply honoured” to have held for the town he called home.

Born in Weymouth in June 1937, Les moved to Poole as a child and attended St. Aldhelm’s, Courthill and Poole Grammar School. He spent 39 years as a football referee, rising to Football League level and was president of Poole & East Dorset Referee Society for 25 years.

A career highlight for Les came in 2004 when Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh were in Poole to open the RNLI Lifeboat College, and Les was seated beside the Queen for the luncheon.

Following his retirement as a councillor in 2019, Les remained an active member of the Poole/Cherbourg Twinning Association and visited Cherbourg on several occasions over the years. He also raised tens of thousands of pounds for charities and local groups, including the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) and Chestnut Nursery. He was also a former Chairman of the Society for Poole.

Les is survived by his wife of more than 50 years, Mary Rose "RoRo".

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10