Author Topic: George Miller (Scarning, Norfolk)  (Read 33 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

John Treleven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
    • View Profile
George Miller (Scarning, Norfolk)
« on: Sat 15 May 2021 15:58 »
George Lane Miller Q1 1874 - 4th December 1931

George was born in King's Lynn, the son of a sea captain, and he became well travelled too.

He was playing football for King's Lynn Juniors when they won the Norfolk Junior Cup Final in 1893 and was with Norwich C.E.Y.M.S. (Church of England Young Men's Society) when he represented Norfolk in 1896. He married Mabel May Ives, who was a few months older than him, in Norwich in 1899 and was appointed headmaster of Scarning (17 miles west of Norwich) School at about the same time.

He and Mabel lived at the Teacherís House with their two children Kenneth George William (1904-81) and Alan Ives (1906-??) and became pillars of the community taking on many posts in the local area. George was also a keen gardener exhibiting at the Norfolk Show and owned an Austin 7.

Whilst undertaking all this locally George was also busy as a football referee and organiser. He refereed the first match played by Norwich City when they met Harwich in September 1902 and on 2nd April 1911 travelled across to Rotterdam to take charge of Netherlands v Belgium (3-1). It was census day and he is found on the S.S. Munich returning to Harwich after the match.

A year later he was in Jersey for the Muratti Vase Semi-Final v Guernsey. Alderney were on the rota of byes to the final, pre-war, and awaited the winners. The match was drawn and so Miller had to delay his return a day as the replay was hurriedly put on 24 hours after the first match. The match report shared the front page of the local paper with the news of the Titanic disaster.

In 1913 George was on international duty again when he travelled to Stockholm when Sweden hosted Denmark (0-10) and in 1915 he was a linesman at Old Trafford, Manchester for the F.A. Cup Final when Sheffield United defeated Chelsea 3-0.

Miller became Chairman of the Norfolk F.A. but possibly was not in the best of health as he was reported as being in hospital in 1926 when his wife took the minutes at a local meeting instead of him. He was hospitalised again in 1931 and died in Norwich Hospital on Friday 4th December 1931, aged 57.

Mabel was in Norwich the following day making funeral arrangements when a runaway van ran down Orford Hill (South West of Norwich castle)
and knocked her over on the pavement. She was taken to the same hospital that her husband had died in the day before but she died that evening.

A joint funeral was held at Scarning the following week when the wreath that Mabel had just ordered was placed on their grave, it read - "To Laddie, my husband from M'Amie Petite. When the last great recorder comes to write your name, he will not write how you won or lost but how you played the game."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sad Sad x 2 Informative Informative x 1 View List